Served with creamy mash, this is a hearty and nutritious family meal. If you feel like a change, use beef or pork instead of the chicken.
- ¼ cup gluten-free cornflour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 kg of chicken thigh fillets, cut into cubes
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 250g button mushrooms cut into quarters
- 410g tin crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup pureed tomato (passata)
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 140 g baby spinach leaves
- 11/2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
Place the cornflour, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Transfer the seasoned flour to a plastic bag, add the chicken pieces and toss until well coated.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, celery, carrot and mushrooms and cook until the celery is golden brown. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, pureed tomato, potato and chicken stock and heat gently for 1 – 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the seasoned chicken pieces. Transfer the mixture to an 8 cup ovenproof dish and bake covered, for about 50 minutes. Check that the chicken pieces are cooked through and cook for a little longer if necessary. Stir through the baby spinach leaves until wilted and season with extra salt and pepper if required.
Sue Cassidy – Senior Receptionist