- 1 x 1.5 – 2.0 kg chicken
- 3cm ginger, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
Put water in a stockpot large enough to submerge chicken fully.
Add ginger and spring onions and bring to the boil. Lower chicken gently into the pot with the breast downwards. Allow liquid to return to the boil, and then adjust heat to a gentle simmer, put on lid tightly and cook for a further 10 minutes. Without lifting lid, turn off heat and leave chicken in there for a further 35-45 minutes (depending on size of chicken).
Lift chicken from pot carefully and avoid tearing skin especially over the breast. Drain liquid from cavity and plunge chicken into a large bowl filled with very cold water. Leave for 1 hour or so. Remove chicken from water and refrigerate till required (or it can be served immediately).
Chop chicken into smaller pieces. The bone will be red in the centre and the meat slightly pink. Serve with steamed rice and dipping sauces.
Dipping Sauce 1
- 2 tbsps oyster sauce, 4 tbsps light soy sauce,2 tsps sesame oil
- Combine well in a small bowl.
Dipping Sauce 2
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped and 3 tbsps olive oil
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and fry ginger and garlic till fragrant. Then fry the spring onion in the mixture and add salt to taste.
Michael Leung, Cardiologist