Gabriel Gaté’s recipe from Smart Food
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 tbsp wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs water
- 400g lean minced beef
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 egg
- a little freshly ground black pepper
- a little plain flour
- a little olive oil
- 1 x 400g can tomatoes
1. Mix breadcrumbs with water in a large bowl. Add minced beef, pine nuts, cheese, sultanas, garlic, half the chopped parsley and basil, egg and pepper and combine thoroughly.
2. Form mince into small balls about the size of golf balls. It is a little less messy if you dip your hands in water after each ball. Coat each one lightly with flour.
3. Brush a frying pan with a little olive oil and on high heat brown polpette for about 1 minute on each side.
4. Meanwhile drain the tomatoes and blend to a puree. Add tomato to pan with remainling parsley and basil and cook until polpette are ready – about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Serve with spaghetti and a green salad.