This Chilli Con Carne recipe from my 80/20 Diet cookbook is a simple and delicious anti-diabetes recipe that uses red kidney beans. Red kidney beans contain fibre, protein and complex carbohydrates making it an ideal food for stabilising blood sugar levels – great for people with insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes. When the blood sugar levels are stable, less insulin is released by the pancreas. One of the tasks of insulin is to promote fat storage in the body, so keeping insulin levels low can help you achieve healthy weight loss.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large grated carrot
- 2 sticks sliced celery
- 250 g lean mince (beef, chicken, game meat are all great)
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 g tomato puree
- 400 g cooked red kidney or adzuki beans, drained
- 125 g cherry tomato, halved
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 lime
- Chopped red chilli to taste or a little of my XO Chilli sauce which is amazing in this recipe.
Sauté the mirepoix (fine dice) of onion carrot and celery for 3 minutes until softened.
Add the spices and mince and cook through for 5 minutes until the mince is browned.
Add the capsicum, tomato paste, tomato puree and beans.
Pour over 2 cups of water.
Simmer over a low – medium heat for 30 minutes until thick.
Season with ground pepper and a little salt add cherry tomato.
Fold in spinach and coriander just before serving.
Spoon into bowls, top with chilli to taste, avocado and a squeeze of lime.
Enjoy by itself or with a side of steamed green vegetables, brown rice or quinoa.